9:00 - 5:00

Our Hours Mon. - Fri.

(872) 222-9077‬

Call Us For Free Consultation


E-2 Treaty Investor Visa: The Ultimate Guide to Unlocking Investment Opportunities in the U.S.

Are you an entrepreneur seeking to make a substantial investment in the United States? The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa could be your gateway to a world of business opportunities! In this extensive guide, we’ll delve into the details of the E-2 Visa, outline the process for obtaining it, and discuss the benefits of enlisting the services of an immigration lawyer to ensure a seamless experience.

What is the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa?

The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa is a non-immigrant visa designed for foreign entrepreneurs who wish to invest a significant amount of capital in a U.S. business. To be eligible, the applicant must be a national of a treaty country and demonstrate that the investment will either create or maintain jobs within the United States.

List of Treaty Countries

The United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with over 50 countries, enabling their citizens to apply for the E-2 Visa. You can find the complete list of eligible countries on the U.S. Department of State website.

Step-by-Step Process for Obtaining the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

  1. Verify your eligibility: Ensure that you are a national of a treaty country and satisfy the necessary investment requirements.
  2. File Form DS-160: Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) and pay the associated fee.
  3. Assemble the required documents: Collect all essential supporting documentation, including evidence of investment, a comprehensive business plan, and proof of funds.
  4. Schedule an interview: Secure an appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.
  5. Attend the interview: Be prepared to answer questions regarding your investment and business plans, as well as your intentions in the United States.
  6. Wait for a decision: Processing times may vary, but you can generally anticipate a decision within a few weeks.

Applying for an E-2 Visa from Within the United States

If you are already in the U.S. and wish to change your status to an E-2 Treaty Investor, you can file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. This form is not exclusive to employees of E-2 investors; any E-2 visa applicant within the U.S. can use it to change their status.

Forms and Documentation Required

  • Form DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • Form I-129: Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker (if applying for a change of status within the U.S.)
  • Supporting Documents: Proof of nationality from a treaty country, evidence of a substantial investment in a U.S. business, a detailed business plan outlining the nature of the enterprise, projected job creation, and the source of funds, as well as proof of control and ownership of the investment.

Fees Associated with the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

  • DS-160 application fee: $205
  • Form I-129 filing fee (if applicable): $460

Advantages of Hiring an Immigration Lawyer

Navigating the intricacies of the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa process can be challenging and time-consuming. An experienced immigration lawyer can provide invaluable guidance and support throughout the process, such as:

  • Evaluating your eligibility: An immigration lawyer can assess whether you qualify for the E-2 Visa and advise you on meeting the necessary investment requirements.
  • Preparing and submitting paperwork: A skilled attorney can assist you in accurately completing the required forms and gathering the necessary supporting documentation to strengthen your application.
  • Interview representation: Your lawyer can help you prepare for the interview process by offering insights into the types of questions you may be asked and coaching you on how to effectively address them.
  • Avoiding mistakes and delays: With their expertise, an immigration lawyer can help you avoid common pitfalls and errors that could jeopardize your application or prolong the process.

By enlisting the services of a professional, you can minimize stress and maximize your chances of successfully obtaining the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa. Don’t leave your investment aspirations to chance—schedule a free consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer today.

Renewing and Maintaining Your E-2 Visa Status

The E-2 Visa is typically issued for an initial period of up to two years, but it can be renewed indefinitely, as long as the underlying investment continues to meet the requirements. To maintain your E-2 status, you’ll need to ensure that your business remains active and continues to generate employment opportunities.

If you need to renew your E-2 Visa, it’s advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer to help you navigate the renewal process, gather the necessary documentation, and avoid any potential issues.

Spouses and Children of E-2 Visa Holders

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of E-2 Visa holders are eligible to apply for E-2 dependent visas. Spouses may obtain work authorization in the U.S., while children can attend school without requiring a separate student visa.

An immigration lawyer can also assist you with the process of obtaining dependent visas for your family members, ensuring that the entire family can accompany you on your entrepreneurial journey in the United States.


The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa presents a fantastic opportunity for entrepreneurs from treaty countries to invest in the United States, create employment, and enjoy the benefits of living and working in the U.S. To maximize your chances of success in obtaining the E-2 Visa and navigating the complex process, partnering with an experienced immigration lawyer is highly recommended. Schedule your free consultation today to kickstart your American investment journey.

Need immigration assistance? Contact us now.

Contact us now

free consultation

    Immigration News & Info