BEST TIPS: 8 Essential Steps to Get a Green Card Through Marriage to a US Citizen
How to Get a Green Card Through Marriage to a US Citizen: A Brief Guide
MARRIAGE GREEN CARD
Navigating the complex process of obtaining a green card through marriage to a US citizen can be challenging. This comprehensive guide outlines 10 essential steps to help you succeed, with expert advice from an experienced immigration attorney.
- Verify eligibility for marriage-based green card Before starting the process, ensure both you and your spouse meet eligibility requirements, including a legal marriage and proof of your spouse’s US citizenship.
- Gather important documentation Assemble necessary documents such as marriage certificate, birth certificates, proof of US citizenship, and evidence of a bona fide marriage.
- Complete Form I-130 , I-485 and the other forms for the petition such as the I-130A, I-864, I-765, & I-131 and file with the USCIS.
- Attend biometrics appointment The foreign spouse will be scheduled for a biometrics appointment to provide fingerprints, photographs, and a signature for a background check.
- Prepare for the interview Gather all necessary documents, review your application, and be ready to answer questions about your relationship and eligibility.
- Attend the interview Both spouses must attend the interview at a local USCIS office, where an officer will verify your information and assess your relationship’s authenticity.
- Receive a decision on your green card application After the interview, USCIS will issue a decision on your application. Approval may result in a conditional or unconditional status depending on how long you have been married on the date the case is approved.
- Remove conditions on your green card (if applicable) If you receive a conditional card, you must file Form I-751 to remove conditions within 90 days before the card expires to maintain your permanent resident status.
Why get a green card?
A green card empowers its holder with a wealth of advantages and opportunities, allowing you to unlock your full potential in the United States. As a lawful permanent resident (LPR), you can live, work, and study anywhere across the nation without the need for additional visas or work permits. This freedom enables you to explore diverse job prospects, educational avenues, and life experiences that may have been out of reach otherwise.
Besides providing the flexibility to pursue your ambitions, a green card also contributes to a stable and secure future. As an LPR, you benefit from the protection of U.S. laws, which extends to essential rights and advantages such as access to social security, healthcare, and the ability to sponsor specific family members for their green cards. This family reunification aspect not only strengthens your support network but also fosters a sense of belonging and community in the United States.
Moreover, green card holders can invest in real estate and business ventures, which can lead to financial growth and stability. You can also benefit from in-state tuition fees at colleges and universities, making higher education more accessible and affordable. Additionally, LPRs can contribute to their local communities by volunteering and participating in public service initiatives.
Possessing a green card also grants you the privilege of unrestricted travel in and out of the United States, making it easier to visit your home country or explore new destinations. This flexibility in travel enhances your global perspective and enriches your life experiences.
One of the most significant perks of holding a green card is the eligibility to apply for U.S. citizenship after a designated period of continuous residence. This path to naturalization allows LPRs to fully integrate into American society, participate in the democratic process, and enjoy the rights and privileges of being a U.S. citizen. By obtaining a green card, you propel yourself towards realizing your dreams and aspirations in the land of opportunity, while also contributing to the diverse fabric of American society.
Obtaining a green card through marriage to a US citizen can be a complex process, but following these 8 essential steps can help you navigate it successfully. Consulting an experienced immigration attorney can provide valuable guidance and support throughout your journey.